The diagram viewer visualizes the population of cities or administrative areas interactively. It requires Sun's Java-2 plug-in.
The diagram viewer can be activated
- by clicking on the buttons of the HTML page located above the population tables (for multi-level tables and for browsers without Java-2 plug-in, the button does not exist or is not enabled). The complete table will be visualized by the viewer. The user may select subsets of cities/administraive areas using the Select menu of the viewer.
- by clicking on the button of the map viewer. The button is enabled if a city or administrative area has been selected (for browsers without Java-2 plug-in, a simple visualization will be depicted instead). The selected object will be visualized by the diagram viewer.
There are four visualization modes:
Size: visualizes the population of the cities / administrative areas; one or more population columns may be selected (Initially, the last column is selected). "Size" is the mode when the diagram viewer starts and a table should be displayed.
Portion: visualizes the portion of the population of cities / administrative areas; only one population column should be selected.
Incr/Decrease: visualizes the annual increase (or decrease) of the population of the cities / administrative areas; one or more population columns may be selected.
Development: visualizes the development of the population of cities / administrative areas; at least two population columns must be selected.
Initially, the last population column of a table is selected. Depending on the data, there are three possibilities for selecting population (or area) columns to be visualized by the viewer:
- One Data Column ...: Select one column.
- Data Columns ...: Select one or more columns.
- All Data Columns: Select all columns (in case of tables with columns storing the population of cities and agglomerations, only the city columns are selected).
Depending on the data, there are up to four possibilities for selecting the cities / administrative areas to be visualized by the viewer:
- One Record ...: Select one city / administrative area.
- Records...: Select one or more cities / administrative areas.
- Records by Admin. Area ...: Select all cities / administrative areas located in the selected administrative area(s) (the corresponding abbreviations are depicted in the selection menu).
- All Records: Select all cities / administrative areas.
Depending on the data, there are three different sortings:
- Name: sorts the items alphabetical (is selected when the viewer starts),
- Size: sorts the items by their population (in case of the development mode, this restricts the visualization to the 10 largest cities/administrative areas), or
- Admin. Div.: sorts the items according to the abbreviations of the adminstrative areas they are located in (the second sorting criterion is the name of the items, i.e. the included cities/administrative areas).